[Updated] Apple Podcasts sent out an email on January 30, 2020 to offer some helpful advice for podcasters after experiencing Apple Podcasts Directory update issues. As a bonus, they reminded podcasters of their podcast marketing resources.
The entire email is quoted below.
Please read and tell your friends!
BTW, I wrote about at length about this very thing over at the Podcast Business Journal. I clarify exactly how your latest episode not updating on Apple Podcasts affects your subscribers – and O.M.Gosh is it going to surprise you!
Dear Podcast Creator,
Below are some updates to help improve the experience for your listeners on Apple Podcasts.
Show Availability and Content Updates
Apple routinely checks each podcast RSS feed to detect new episodes as well as metadata or artwork changes. Our system will display these changes on Apple Podcasts within 24 hours after detecting them.
You don’t need to perform additional actions — simply confirm the new episode or content updates are successfully published on your hosting provider’s platform.
After 24 hours, if your new episode or content updates don’t appear on Apple Podcasts, sign in to Podcasts Connect and follow these steps:
- Click My Podcasts.
- Check the Status section to confirm your show is Active. If your show is in a Failed Validation status, troubleshoot the issue and resubmit your feed.
- Check the time and date when your show was last refreshed.
For artwork changes, make sure the new image file:
- Has a different name than the previous one.
- Meets the artwork requirements.
If you’ve confirmed the above items, and it’s been more than 24 hours since your podcast was last refreshed, select Refresh Feed. Podcasts Connect will schedule an update. Please allow up to 24 hours for this process to complete.
Note: Don’t refresh your show with every new episode or RSS feed edit.
Fundamentals of Podcast Marketing
When marketing your show, it’s helpful to keep in mind why and how people listen to podcasts. Learn more about podcast marketing fundamentals, which include tips and tools to help grow your audience.
For example, you can learn how to:
- Build and grow your show’s brand.
- Write effective marketing copy describing your show.
- Leverage social media to build your audience.
- Use the Listen on Apple Podcasts badge to promote your show or an episode.
- Collaborate with other podcast creators to generate buzz for your own show.
The Apple Podcasts Team